General Therapeutic Interventions:
- Steroids (Inhaled and systemic)
Empirical glucocorticoid therapy is usually initiated in a patient who has rapidly progressive or severe pulmonary toxicity, although evidence from randomized trials to support this practice is lacking.
Severe lung toxicity is characterized by:7
- Dyspnea at rest
- A decrease in oxygen saturation below 90%
- Greater than a 4% decrease from baseline, worsening clinical status, or the need for ventilatory support.
Contraindications to glucocorticoids:7
- Systemic fungal infection
- Hypersensitivity to components of glucocorticoids