Second Malignant Neoplasm
The majority of information about survival of patients after the diagnosis of a second malignant neoplasm is from studies of Hodgkin lymphoma survivors.
Survival depends on type of second solid tumor16
- Median survival was 4.3 years for all types of SMN
- 5-year overall survival rate of 42.1% for all types of SMN
- Poorest prognosis for patients with secondary lung cancer (median survival of 1 year).
- Secondary GI tumor was associated with a 5-year survival rate of 12.4% and median survival, 1.9 years.
- Breast cancer had a better overall 5-year overall survival rate of 76.1% and the median survival time had not yet been reached.